Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago...

10 years ago today I answered the phone.  It was Tuesday morning and Mom's friend, Mandie, was calling.  She sounded frantic and said that the World Trade Center had been attacked by terrorists.  My 14-year-old self had no idea what the World Trade Center was and just said, "Huh?".  She told me to just turn on the news and tell Mom and then hung up.  I walked over, turned on the TV...and the world changed in an instant.

It's hard to remember how things used to be before that fateful day.  You could walk on a plane, barely having to go through a metal detector.  You didn't think twice about someone wearing a hijab...if you even knew what that was.  Islam was one of the world's fastest growing religions, but many Americans didn't know much about it.  And who had ever heard of Rudy Guliani?  (In South Carolina anyway?)  Everything was flipped in an instant.  Suddenly families became closer, or they were torn apart.  Churches were packed.  Lives were forever changed.  Then, an instant later it seemed, we were at war.

And here we are, 10 years later, fighting that same battle.  As a Navy spouse I don't pretend that I've faced the kind of fears that my Army and Marine counterparts have.  May God bless the men and women on the front lines, as well as those left behind.  Both are doing battle.  May God bless the leaders of our country with wisdom in these uncertain times.  I am not nearly as thankful as I should be for the freedom and peace we experience every day.  May God bless those we battle in Afghanistan and Iraq.  I pray for their hearts to be changed to the glory and praise of God Himself.  And, most of all today, may God bless those who lost loved ones in the towers, the Pentagon, or in Pennsylvania.  Our prayers are with you.

God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Joy in the Morning © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner